Monday, August 10, 2009

The beginning

Good Evening,

I am still trying to figure how I want to talk. I guess the easiest way is to just pretend I am having a conversation with someone else. I hope my explanation will make sense as my editor (my beloved wife) is now in bed doing some well deserved reading.

Know Your Place (KYP from now on) has always been a phrase to separate to me from other people, especially generations that have been born before me. I always remember from being a kid being told by an older person you need to KYP. I can't stand that. I knew I needed to respect my elders when I was growing up. From my own observations, I feel that all generations feel a sense of entitlement for the generations that come after them and phrases like KYP reinforce that idea. Personally, I think this one of the fatal flaws in humanity and being a historian has given me a very unique perspective. I study and teach about past generations everyday and I have to inspire my students to want to learn instead of telling them they need to know their place and learn because I am telling you to, which is very difficult on many different levels. I believe many people are so turned off to history because this mistrust for older generations, because it has been engrained in them to KYP.

Thanks for reading. I hope to hear from you all (whoever you all are) soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment