Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Sins of our fathers

Well, I feel I need to go off on a tangent for a moment. Are the baby boomers the most narcissict generation ever? Have they tainted every generation after them? My answers to these questions are yes and yes. I am but a lowly teacher spending every working day with the future generation and if I teach for 30 years then I will influence at least three different generations of students. Unfortunately, what I am seeing huge cut backs in education because of the greed of the baby boomers. School Districts are changing the criteria determining whether students need special services to exclude students instead of include them. Also as the baby boomers become older and they do not have children in the educational system, they vote against helping youth and only worry about their medicare and social security. They do not remember all the sacrifices their own parents made that allowed them to benefit to greatest from a Democratic America, since I believe they will be the last generation as a whole to make a better life than the generation before. The poor Generation X and Y are left with the dream of providing luxuries for their children when in reality they will have to decide whether we brake the cycle of the baby boomers and pay for the sins of the baby boomers through higher taxes and less government just to pay off the debts, both government and person created by baby boomers.

No comments:

Post a Comment